|Division||Public Works Operations|
|Section||Public Works Administration|
|Job Grade||PT Crossing Guard Grade 01|
|Rate of Pay||$15.00 – $15.00 Hourly|
|Job Type||Part Time – Contract|
|Contract Length/End Date||10 months|
|Posting Type||Internal and External|
School Crossing Guards are responsible for ensuring the safety of children crossing the street as they travel to and from school. They are also responsible for reporting any incidents relating to drivers or pedestrians at the corner they are servicing.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervision of children
- Responding to pedestrian inquiries and providing information, as required
- Spreading salt/sand mixture around sidewalk and cross walk area during winter months to melt ice and improve traction
- Performing administrative duties (i.e. accident or incident reports)
- Carrying a sign 2 – 5 pounds intermittently, for up to one hour at a time
- Walking and standing throughout entire shift
- Ability to be alert and observant to changing traffic conditions and children
- Must be able to work in adverse weather conditions
- Must provide a medical certificate confirming ability to carry out duties and physical demands (as outlined above)
- Must have good communication skills
- Must be regular and punctual in attendance for children waiting to cross.
- Demonstrates good judgment and makes sound decisions
- Shows commitment to personal growth, development, and leadership opportunities
- Shares new ideas and challenges the status quo
- Takes initiative to participate in a culture of learning, mentoring, and sharing
- Contributes to building and being a part of a positive culture
- Demonstrate the City’s corporate values of service, collaboration, care, and courage
- Requires satisfactory Police Vulnerable Sector Check
- Demonstrates personal leadership
- Builds people and culture
- Cultivates open communication
- Shapes the future
- Navigates and leads through complexity and change
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
The City of Richmond Hill is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. If contacted to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if you require an accommodation.
Please note, to be considered for a career opportunity at the City of Richmond Hill you must have received the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada (or the World Health Organization). You may also be required to receive any COVID-19 boosters recommended by public health authorities. The City of Richmond Hill will consider cases requiring accommodation as stipulated by relevant employment standards legislation or regulation and/or the Ontario Human Rights Code.