|Number of Positions||27|
|Division||Recreation and Culture Services|
|Shift||Monday to Sunday|
Must be available to work up to 24 hours/week
Must be available to work at least 2 days/week
|Rate of Pay||$15.00 – $15.00 Hourly|
|Job Length/End Date|
|Job Type||Part Time|
|Posting Type||Internal and External|
Reporting to the Front of House Coordinator, the Usher will provide quality customer service to patrons attending events in the performing arts venues, assist in event preparation and conclusion and effectively assist patrons in an emergency.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Arrive on-time in appropriate dress for scheduled shifts (or obtain an approved replacement if unable to work.)
- Assist with event programs. Duties include stuffing programs with inserts, distribution of programs to stands, maintenance of programs and collection of programs at events’ end.
- Attend Pre-Event briefing for job assignment and event specifics.
- Ability and willingness to work any assignment, including duties not listed within the scope of this job description.
- Regular assignments will include checking patrons’ coats and belongings, taking tickets, handing out programs, escorting patrons to seats.
- Be in assigned area by designated time.
- Monitor physical surroundings in assigned area prior to and throughout event for safety, cleanliness and functionality; contact the Coordinator, Front of House/Duty Manager with questions, comments, or concerns.
- Respond quickly and courteously to patrons’ needs, questions, comments, or concerns with answers and/or action.
- At event’s end, walk through assigned area retrieving lost items and turn them in accordingly.
- In case of emergency, actively assist in safeguarding patrons.
Education and Experience
- Ability to take CPR and First Aid training if not currently certified.
- Must have completed Smart Serve Training
- Understand and adhere to established policies and procedures.
- Actively assist with established emergency procedures. (Familiar with location of exits and use of emergency equipment.)
- Assist Coordinator, Front of House with procedures for injuries, illness, etc. (Familiar with location of defibrillator.)
- Assist patrons with disability-related issues.
- Ability to provide accurate knowledge to patrons regarding venue logistics (i.e. location of ticket office, restrooms, phones, concessions, coat check, etc.), information about the event, general building history, etc.
- Ability to read event ticket (visual acuity corrected to read as small as 11-font print) in dim lighting with use of provided flashlight.
- Ability to repeatedly climb stairs – up and down – and comfortable working on multiple levels — to ensure effective event procedure in all areas of theatre.
- Ability to stand for long periods, sometimes throughout an entire event.
- Adhere to dress code.
- Attend required trainings and meetings.
- Ability to lift 20 kilograms.
- Requires satisfactory Police Vulnerable Sector Check
- Demonstrates good judgment and makes sound decisions
- Shows commitment to personal growth, development, and leadership opportunities
- Shares new ideas and challenges the status quo
- Proven written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate with honesty, openness, respect, and trust
- Takes initiative to participate in a culture of learning, mentoring, and sharing
- Contributes to building and being a part of a positive culture
- Demonstrate the City’s corporate values of care, collaboration, courage and service
- Demonstrates personal leadership
- Builds people and culture
- Cultivates open communication
- Shapes the future
- Navigates and leads through complexity and change
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
The City of Richmond Hill is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. If contacted to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if you require an accommodation.
Please note, to be considered for a career opportunity at the City of Richmond Hill you must have received the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada (or the World Health Organization). You may also be required to receive any COVID-19 boosters recommended by public health authorities. The City of Richmond Hill will consider cases requiring accommodation as stipulated by relevant employment standards legislation or regulation and/or the Ontario Human Rights Code.